Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Days 1 and 2


Day 1:
Working on calligraphy for a client. Samples and pictures to come. I'm sure I'll use this at least once more as my 'creative' thing...I have a few more days before its due. The rules state you can work on a large project over the span of more than one day. whew! :) The hard part being, I have to create some fake samples of my work, since I don't want my clients' addresses displayed...

Day 2:
Spinach Roll-Ups
This is inspired from a recipe on Yahoo Shine. I made it tonight for me, husband, baby, a friend and her two-year old. It was a hit with all except the 2 year old. :) I've received feedback that people like to see prices for how much this ends up to be, so I'll continue with that...but, 'pantry staples' will have no price, as I can't possibly estimate how much a tablespoon of olive oil costs. :)
I also added a ciabatta roll as a side. I buy these in bags of 4 for $2.99 from Sprouts, and freeze them. Then, I throw it in the oven covered in olive oil and salt. (thanks for the tip, Keegan!) 20 minutes later, its like I baked fresh bread. Warm through out, with a salty-crispy crust!

Total Cost: $8.50 Feeds 3-4 people (we fed 3 people, 2 toddlers and I have a lunch for tomorrow!) ($9.25 if you count the bread).


Ingredients: Sauce:
1 can diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic, with basil and garlic)--about $2.50
1/2 onion--$.50
2T olive oil--pantry staple
2 cloves garlic--pantry staple
a few basil leaves--garden staple
dash of salt, pepper, cinnamon


Filling:

3/4c ricotta--$1
1 package frozen spinach--$2
3/4c diced fresh mushrooms--$.50
1C Shredded Mozzarella--$1
dash onion powder, salt, pepper

7-8 lasagna noodles (I use whole wheat)--$1


Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
For sauce, heat oil in skillet, add diced garlic, diced onions. Sautee until onions are transparent. Add remaining ingredients (do not drain tomatoes), simmer until desired thickness is reached.
Meanwhile, boil water, add pasta.

For filling: Defrost spinach, drain. Combine with other ingredients.

Lay noodles out, spread filling on each noodle, roll up. Place with 'ends' down in a bake-able dish. Spread sauce over top. Add extra mozz if you'd like. Cover with tin foil, bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!
It is nice to have a helper in the kitchen. :)

2 comments:

  1. looks delicious. I will have to try it out. That helper sure is cute. If I try the recipe, can I have her help too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can definately have her help!! however, she's more cute than helpful at this point... :)

    ReplyDelete